Friday, December 23, 2011

My kid is scared to death. What do I tell her?

Is this world going to end? Yes. How do I know? Because my mama said so. So what do you tell your kids about the world ending?

My friend Stacy had the best reply to that question I've ever heard. A woman asked some friends what she should do Dec. 21, 2012 because her daughter is already scared to death? Nobody had an answer for her until Stacy spoke up:

"I'll tell you exactly what to do," she said. First Stacy explained how the Bible gives us information about anyone who would tell you the exact day or hour that Jesus will return. She then told the woman, "So on Dec. 21, you take off work, hold her out of school, and both of you go out. Hug her a lot. Both of you get a manicure, go to a movie, go out for a nice dinner."

Here's how you can be sure that Dec. 21, 2012 is NOT the day the world will end. Do I believe it could happen tomorrow? You bet. Could it even happen on Dec. 20 or even Dec. 22? Oh yeah. Will it happen on Dec. 21? Nope.

Why is it so much easier to believe that God would go against his word , because He had such a special relationship with some nameless Mayan? And is it believed the world will end because this Mayan wrote it in the stone? NO. People are believing it because it WAS NOT written on the stone.

Makes better sense to me that the nameless Mayan got bored. Why not, we finally get bored and quit projects. Or maybe he bwoke his wittle hammer and chisel.

The words of Jesus in Matthew, chapter 24 clear it up:
35Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
 36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

And darlin', God's word truly IS written in stone.


No comments: